Ninja Coach Job Specifications
The ninja instructor is responsible for working with children to help realize their potential through Ninja Sport by providing high-quality instruction and guidance. The Ninja Coach is responsible for teaching and choreographing fun and safe classes that create a positive, inclusive and supportive learning environment. Assists in membership development and retention by effectively building community within the class.
- Leads energizing, fun, safe, and educational cheer classes, as directed by the supervisor, to accomplish the YMCA mission and goals. Provides appropriate supervision at all times.
- Under the guidance of the supervisor, helps create class lesson plans specific to the class being taught that allow participants to progress their skills in accordance with their ages and abilities, modifying as needed to meet the needs of participants.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with participants and parents, helping them connect with each other and the YMCA. Models welcoming, connecting, motivating and affirming behaviors. Treats participants fairly and equally, allowing them to feel good and confident about themselves and their progress.
- Celebrates achievement of program participants related to program or personal goals, mastering specific skills or improving overall health and well-being. Communicates progress with parents/guardians as appropriate.
- Assists supervisor in planning and developing ninja routines
- Keeps accurate class attendance records, aiming for continual retention and growth. Obtain roster of paid participants at the beginning of session and inform supervisor of any discrepancies.
- Obtains and maintains required certifications, completes mandatory staff training and participates in required staff meetings. Participates in special events as assigned.
- Ensures completion of daily equipment checks and completes daily cleaning tasks.
- Supports mission, vision and direction of the Crossroads YMCA. Actively promotes all YMCA programs and activities and supports YMCA campaign initiatives. Be knowledgeable and supportive of the YMCA annual support campaign.
- Follows YMCA policies, procedures, and emergency procedures and able to demonstrate them.
- Must be available to work weekday evening hours and also willing to sub when needed.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement : Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in the dance field.
- Minimum of 16 years of age with appropriate work permits, 18 years of age & high school degree preferred.
- Must have at least 3 years of current high level cheer training being on a team and/or prior experience teaching gymnastics, martial arts or parkour.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and problem solving skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with both participants and parents.
- Complete Ninja Zone training prior to start.
- Knowledge of youth developmental stages, with ability to apply corresponding learning and physical traits to curriculum development and classroom management.
All Ninja Coaches are expected to act in a manner in line with the YMCA values and within the confines of the information listed above. Anyone found not acting in these manners will receive disciplinary measures up to and including verbal warnings, documented infractions, and/or termination.
Within 30 days of hire, CPR/AED & First Aid certification, YMCA wellness foundational e-learning courses (Orientation to Healthy Living at the Y, Foundations of Listen First, Principles of Member Health & Wellness, Group Exercise at the Y). The Redwoods Institute trainings required prior to the start of employment.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Visual, auditory, and verbal ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to work accurately at a fast pace.
- Must have high level of alertness, concentration, and initiative.
- Sufficient strength, agility, and mobility to perform job responsibilities.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. and stand, walk, or sit for extended periods of time; occasionally stoop/bend.
- Maintain a neat and professional appearance at all times.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $8.00 to $9.00 /hour