Dear Hobart Family YMCA Community,
Over the last week, you may have heard of the Coronavirus that is raising health concerns across the globe. According to Center for Disease Control (CDC), the general public in the U.S. is at low risk of contracting the 2019-nCoV.
As with any newly emerging infectious disease, knowledge evolves with time and recommendations are changing rapidly. We are closely monitoring information from public health officials and will follow their prevention guidelines to help keep our facilities clean and community safe.
Should this issue escalate in our community, the Y will take necessary precautions to ensure that our staff and community are safe. We’ve educated our staff and are practicing additional hygiene and cleaning practices to ensure that our facilities and program locations remain safe.
These general practices are also in place for YMCA staff and participants:
- Frequent hand washing is encouraged and practiced with warm water and soap
- Cough and sneeze etiquette is encouraged (cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash)
- Common areas are frequently cleaned including frequent cleaning of door handles, fitness equipment, lockers, tables/countertops, phones and other common “high-touch” items in each Y facility.
- Hand sanitizer is available in our facility.
- YMCA staff, members and participants are asked to stay home when ill (and to remain home for 24 hours after symptoms have disappeared if the illness is flu-like or gastrointestinal)
If you would like more information on the Coronavirus, please refer to
Please be sure to check in on neighbors to ensure they are ok. In times like this social isolation is more common. A simple phone call can go a long way. Thank you for working with us to ensure our community is safe and welcoming.
CEO, Hobart Family YMCA