HOBART FAMILY YMCA
Here at the Y we have three areas of focus: For Youth Development, For Healthy Living and For Social Responsibility. We are a cause-driven organization who believe in our kids, our health and our neighbors. The Y is for everyone. We over a variety of programs, services and initiatives for all to foster a strong community.
FOR YOUTH DEVELOPMENT
Children are like sponges absorbing the values, education and skills learned early on in their life. At the Y, children and teens develop positive behaviors, discover their unique interests and talents, and can help them realize their full potential.
FOR HEALTHY LIVING
Healthy living is more than simply exercising and eating your vegetables, it’s about maintaining a balanced mind, body and spirit along with overall wellness. The Y is a place where you can learn a new skill or hobby, make new friends, and bringing your loved ones closer together with our many family-centered activities we hold throughout the year.
FOR SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
Generosity of others is at the core of the Y as a nonprofit. It is only through the support of our board, staff, volunteers and donors that we are able to provide support back into our community.
Here at the Y we have three areas of focus: For Youth Development, For Healthy Living and For Social Responsibility. We are a cause-driven organization who believe in our kids, our health and our neighbors. The Y is for everyone. We offer a variety of programs, services and initiatives for all to foster a strong community.
The YMCA is a cause driven association with a mission to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build a healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We at the Hobart Family YMCA proudly engage over 10,000 individuals each year and over 3,400 individual members yearly. Our impact is felt when a mentor encourages a child, when an individual strives for a healthy lifestyle, and when our community works side-by-side for the common good. We primarily serve those in the Hobart, New Chicago, Lake Station, and Merrillville areas, however, we are open to all!
BRIEF PROGRAM AND SERVICE HIGHLIGHTS
• Contracted provider of before and after school childcare for Hobart City Schools and River Forest Community Schools
• Longest running (and best!) Developmental Preschool in Hobart at 33 years
• Certified facility and instructors by Arthritis Foundation of Greater Chicagoland
• Lake Area United Way Agency since 1957
• First Inclusion Preschool Day Camp and School-Age Day Camp Program at a YMCA in collaboration with the Center For Possibilities, Bubel-Aiken Foundation & National Inclusion Project**
• Premier delegation at Indiana State YMCA Youth & Government Program in Indianapolis
• 1955…First organizing activities begin by five area Women’s Clubs
• 1957…Officially chartered and admitted to Lake Area United Way
• 1961…Became branch of Gary Metro YMCA (GMY)
• 1966…Capital Campaign by GMY, Hobart gets new building
• 1976…GMY dissolves, Hobart inherits $230,000 debt
• 1981…Hobart Y experiences severe fire, closed for several months
• 1997…Hobart Y Board authorizes Feasibility Study to expand facility
• 1999…Construction begins on 18,000 sq. foot addition
• 2000…Grand opening of “New” Hobart Family YMCA
**National Inclusion Project (NIP) Official website www.inclusionproject.org
HOBART FAMILY YMCA
601 W. 40th Place
Hobart, IN 46342
Hours of Operation
Monday - Thursday: 5:00am - 9:00pm
Friday: 5:00am - 7:00pm
Saturday: 7:00am - 1:00pm
Sunday: 7:00am -11:00am
Monday - Saturday: 9:00am-12:00pm
(Ages 6 Months - 12 Years Old)
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm-8:00pm
(Ages 2 Years Old - 12 Years Old)
Copyright © Professional Information Systems, Inc.
The YMCA is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.
The Y is committed to providing programs that build a healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We make every effort to ensure that no one is turned away due to inability to pay. Click here for our financial assistance application